What Is The Definition Of Historical Abuse?

Sometimes called non-recent abuse, historical abuse is defined as when an adult has been abused in the past when they were a child or under the age of 18. Some adults may have always known about the abuse while for others, it could be a recent understanding of what they went through. In both cases, the person can still claim historical abuse compensation if they meet the CICA scheme requirements.

Effects Of Non-Recent Abuse

The effects of historical child abuse can last a lifetime for victims and can impact health, education, relationships and more. Mental health can be adversely affected and victims may find it hard to live a normal life. Reporting historical sexual abuse can, in itself, be a stressful and traumatic experience, which is why we’re here to help you claim compensation.

Historical sexual abuse symptoms can include:

  • Issues with alcohol and drugs
  • Poor mental and physical health
  • Struggling with relationships
  • Struggling with parenting
  • Accompanying disorders such as depression, eating disorders, etc.


Reporting Historical Abuse

If you’ve suffered abuse as a child or you know a victim of abuse, it’s recommended to report the crime as soon as possible. For victims, it’s important to note that it is never too late to report the abuse that they have experienced.

Reporting offenders can stop them from reoffending and it can provide closure for the victims in order to be able to move forward. You can report an offender to the police by calling 101. From there, you will be put in contact with the right person or team who can help you further.

Historical Abuse Claims & Compensation

When it comes to claiming compensation for abuse, the CICA will payout if all of the requirements are met. In the case of historic abuse claims, this means that the crime has to be reported to the police.

If the crime has been reported when you were a child, you may have to explain why you didn’t claim within the “two years” time limit rule set out by CICA. If you have recently reported abuse to the police, you can still make a claim. For more information on this, please talk to one of our advisors.

How Can Historical Abuse Be Proven?

Historical abuse can be proven if you have a police crime reference number. This is the case number given to you when you initially raised a historic abuse inquiry with the police. If you told the police about your abuse a long time ago, your crime number will still be valid.

Do I Need A Police Crime Reference Number To Claim?

If you would like to claim compensation from CICA for historical abuse, then you will need to provide your police crime number. If you cannot find the number, you can call 101 in order to talk to your local police authority who may be able to help. Alternatively, we can advise you further on how to find your reference number.

How Long Will My CICA Claim Take?

This will all depend on the crime committed, the evidence (such as medical evidence if available) and if there is mental injury. Usually, claims for compensation for historical abuse can take between three and eighteen months. If you would like to know more about the process and how long your particular claim may take, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us.


How Much Compensation Will I Receive For Historical Abuse?

Claims can vary widely in terms of compensation. Talking in more general terms, sexual abuse compensation will range between £1,000 and £44,000. When it comes to historical abuse, you can expect to receive between £6,000 and £22,000. The higher compensation awards are given to those who have experienced traumatic and repetitive abuse than lasted for more than 3 years.

How Much Will It Cost To Hire A Solicitor?

Here at CICA UK, we work on a “no win no fee” basis. This means that if you choose to claim compensation with our help, you will not be charged if your claim is unsuccessful. If you are successful (and we will do everything in our power to ensure you are) then we will deduct no more than 35% (VAT included). It could also be much less than this, depending on your claim amount and work we undertake on your behalf.

Historical Abuse Support

If you have suffered from historical abuse, it’s important to know that help is out there if you need it. Visit our FAQ page for more information and useful links. When it comes to reporting physical abuse to police, speaking to a member of Citizens Advice could help you build up the courage to take action.

If you’ve been a victim of crime, whether recently or in the past and you’re interested in seeking compensation for a criminal injury or psychological trauma you have sustained, get in touch with us for expert legal advice.

Google Rating