What is gymnastic coach abuse?
Last year, a harrowing report published by Anne Whyte revealed the extensive gymnastic coach abuse that was taking place within British gymnastics. Known as the Whyte Review, the 300-page report unveiled 400 complaints, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse allegations.
Complaints ranged from withholding food, water, and access to the toilet during training, to physical chastisement and sexual grooming. If you have experienced gymnastic coach abuse, know it is not your fault and we can help.
Examples of gymnastic coach abuse
Competitive sports such as gymnastics are known for being highly disciplined. However, there is a fine line between encouraging students to reach their potential and abusing them physically, emotionally and sexually. The following gives examples of physical and sexual gymnastic coach abuse that were found in the Whyte Review:
- Hitting, slapping, or kicking gymnasts.
- Forcing students to over-train/train on injuries.
- Withholding basic human necessities including food, water, and access to the toilet.
- Students forced into gymnastic positions with physical force.
- Students sat on by a coach to deepen a stretch.
- Coaches making sexual remarks to students
- Coaches initiating sexual relationships between themselves and students
- Inappropriate touching including tickling, and touching on the bottom.
Can I claim compensation for gymnastic coach abuse?
If you have been subject to gymnastic teacher abuse you may be eligible for compensation. The amount of money you receive will depend on the severity of the abuse, and the length of time the abuse took place.
To be eligible to claim compensation from the CICA, you also must claim no later than two years from the date of the crime, unless in exceptional circumstances where a claim could not be made such as psychological trauma or crime was committed when the claimant was a child. You can use our CICA Calculator to get an idea of how much you can claim. If you’re unsure, give us a call to discuss.
If you’ve been affected by gymnastic coach abuse and you think you’re eligible the next step is to give us at CICA UK a call to discuss your case. You can do this by calling 0151 242 5111.